Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes.......

I hate taxes. I guess everyone does. But I never knew until I owned a business how complicated taxes can be. Sales Tax, State and City. Employee Taxes: Unemployment, Social Security, FICA, whatever....cleverly disguised as numbers: 940 and 941. Not to mention the AZ Quarterly withholding (which is NOT income tax, so I don't know what it's for)...and then there's the annual corporate taxes, and everyone's favorite personal Income Tax. And the other quarterly taxes, that you're supposed to be reporting if you're self-employed, but that my accountant didn't seem to think I needed, and now I obviously do....good thing I haven't paid myself anything this year! Ok, there was that one time I paid myself $500 dollars...but spread out over the year, that works out to less than $50 per month!

I'm up to my eyeballs in tax forms right now. Which is why I'm blogging, not working. :( I have to redo our 2004 coporate taxes to include all of our business expenses that were missed the first time. Then that affects our personal taxes, which also have to be redone. Hopefully the result of all this is paying less taxes, as long as I can find all the documentation I'm looking for....

I feel like I've been in a bubble for the last few years....cut off from reality and normal life. My reality has been the store. And Evan. Other things try to pierce the bubble from time to time, but don't make much of a dent. Now the bubble is thinning (ok, weird analogy, but I'm going to go with it) and I can see my life more clearly now, and what the last 3 1/2 years have brought me...the sacrifices, personal and financial that I've made for the store. It's really a beautiful store, almost where I dreamed it would be. But at the end of this long road (new analogy) is it really worth it? What do I have to show for it? Certainly not money, I'm still struggling to balance between the rent, payroll, new inventory, advertising....will I become another in a long line of stores that will close? Photographic Memories, Remember When, Scraps 'n Stamps, A Scrapper's Dream, now Memory Basket. Not to mention (ok, I will) Craft Mart, and all the smaller stores that closed that no one really noticed....Scrappy Cat Alley, Just Scrap It, Desert Scrappers, Memories Well Planned....also some of the stamp stores, including Artisan Stamps, just down the road. And this is only "my part" of Phoenix, doesn't even touch Tempe, Mesa, or Chandler.

No comments:

My New Creative Adventure!

During the pandemic, we've all found different ways to keep ourselves busy, to avoid going out of our minds and avoid stress.  I have be...