Friday, August 05, 2005

Arizona Chain Reaction

Yes! There are people out there who are fighting the chains!

Found this reference in a blog (using Marc Cuban's search engine) to Recollections and Scrapbook Stores. Just happened to be in Phoenix.

This lead me to an article in the AZ Rep about chain stores, and an organization, AZCR (Arizona Chain Reaction). I need to find out more about this. I like the "think independently, buy locally" motto. I'm not saying I never shop at chains. But I think we should be educated in our choices. What other choices are available? It's easier to go to a chain, they're very visible.

In my case, it may mean shopping at Bashas, a locally owned grocery store, instead of the others. I shop at Target instead of WalMart. Yes, Target is a chain, but WalMart seems to be taking over the world! Also, I like the quieter atmosphere at Target. WalMart seems like a feeding frenzy.

Some "chains" are locally owned businesses, or franchises. Although not all the purchases made by these companies - for signage, construction, etc. - may not be local choices, some of them have to be. And I support anyone who is trying to make it by owning their own business. We're a dying breed. Possibly crazy. But we believe in something. Working for yourself. Making it on your own. We're closer to our customers, more in tune with their everyday lives.

This one especially got me:

"Blighted empty shopping areas are created in your community when chain stores re-locate to a more lucrative shopping center, or leave altogether. Literally hundreds of big stores are abandoned each year across the United States."

I'm so tired of seing the abandoned shopping centers! Who decides that Albertson's needs to move 2 miles west, and leaves the other shopping center tenants to die? I was looking at Memory Basket's website. The store directions say they are just behind Popular sporting goods. Guess who has closed? Once a thriving mall, the back part of the mall is now a ghost town.

I could go on about this forever.

I would love to hear anyones comments on this, especially as it related to the Scrapbook industry.

No comments:

My New Creative Adventure!

During the pandemic, we've all found different ways to keep ourselves busy, to avoid going out of our minds and avoid stress.  I have be...